Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Lawmakers Seeking to Ban Trans Fat in Restaurants

Obesity in the United States has significantly risen in the past few years. Even children are starting to be obese, if you go look at places like El Paso you'll see 200-pound fifth-grader and that's just not normal. If they keep it up then they'll be having risks for diabetes, stroke, and even heart disease, which is part of the reason why Texas lawmakers are now seeking to ban trans fat in restaurants. Trans fats, created when liquid oils are turned into solid fats, are found in shortening, margarine and partially hydrogenated vegetable oils.

At the moment I work at a restaurant and I eat there everyday whenever I get off and now knowing what trans fat are and what it could do to my body, I'm glad that someone is finally trying to do something about it, besides this is also a step into making us a healthier nation which is a very good thing. What's just scary is that the portion of Texas adults obesity alone
could increase from 28.8% next year to 42.6% by 2040. Since we're too lazy to do something about this ourselves, obviously now the Government has to step in and try to do something and hopefully this will be the first step into going towards the right direction, which is hopefully trying to decrease the obesity rate of the United States.

Some states such as California, New York City, Boston, and Philadelphia already will or already have similar bans. Now the
House Committee on Public Health will take up the proposal in a public hearing on April 14, Lois Kolkhorst, the committee chairwoman, said she's going to be "keeping an open mind" on the subject. Let's hope that this will pass and help everyone jump start to a longer, healthier life.

2 comments:

  1. To go out on a limb here, I truly believe that trans fats should be highly limited (This is coming from a fat guy's mouth). Some people, like myself, need to improve their diets and the image of the state. I'm going to say, "Wow, I didn't know the obesity was that high," given that I've lived in the Austin area all my life. While I'll say this is step in the right direction, there are still many milestones ahead, such as getting people to be active and proper dieting (which is my problem).

    Other than that, I agree with you. (I could have continued on by rambling but decided not to)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this article very informative and interesting. I have to agree with the author's opinion on cutting down trans fat in restaurants because, America has been rated with the highest number of obese people in the world including Texas. By passing this law, restaurants will be able to reduce the amount of trans fat usage. As the author mentions, many of the fifth graders, are suaully about 200 IBS due to the consumption of trans fat at their school cafeterias. Passing this law will help many of men, women and kids to eat healthier foods at their jobs, schools and even restaurants. The health of kids is very important to parents. Therefore, schools should stop providing greasy and unhealthy foods to kids and instead offer fresh and nutritious food.

    ReplyDelete